Even if you have a fairly amicable relationship with your ex-spouse, divorce is never easy. When you have children involved, it is even more difficult – especially concerning parenting decisions.
Here are several co-parenting tips that can help you maintain a cordial relationship for the sake of your children:
- Put your kid’s needs ahead of your own. Put aside the differences and hurt feelings from your relationship and focus your attention completely on your children.
- Make sure that your kids understand that you love them. They should feel that they are your first priority despite the fact that circumstances in your marriage have changed.
- Don’t use your kids as messengers.
- Never speak negatively about your ex-spouse around your children.
- Decide on the best form of communication between you and your ex (text, phone or in person).
- Make major decisions regarding the children together as a team. These decisions include medical needs, education and financial issues.
- Show your ex partner respect, even if you have a disagreement. Some suggestions are to use a business-like tone, listen and make requests instead of demands.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff, and be willing to compromise.
If you are considering divorce, consult an experienced divorce attorney to learn about your legal options.